MusicMakers Hacklab @ CTM
A century ago, Generation Z’s modernists imagined a future generation in which the role of artist and technologist had fused. In that hybrid world, boundaries between media, image, sound and innovation would blur into new forms of expression. Today, that vision is our reality.
MusicMakers Hacklab is a weeklong open, collaborative laboratory hosted by Peter Kirn of CDM (createdigitalmusic.com) and sound artist Darsha Hewitt (darsha.org). It allows practitioners from a range of disciplines to reconnect with the work of early pioneers in a new context. Participants will get the chance to mix rediscovered analogue and electronic techniques with new, still-evolving digital processes connecting to the Generation Z : ReNoise exhibition.
Darsha Hewitt (darsha.org) is a Canadian artist that makes sound installations and teaches DIY electronics workshops. She just completed a Fellowship in the Klangkunst program at HBK in Braunschweig and was recently nominated for the 2013 Marl International Klangkunst Preis. She is the founder and head mentor of the Dardi_2000 Mentorship Program.
Peter Kirn is an audiovisual artist, technologist, and journalist. He is the editor of CDM (createdigitalmusic.com and createdigitalmotion.com), and co-creator of the open source MeeBlip hardware synthesizer (meeblip.com). His work ranges from teaching creative coding with open tools to making experimental live techno, and as a writer has been a hub of discussion of trends in live and interactive visuals, and the design of new music technologies.
Hacklab participants, pre-selected following an open call, include:
- Nick Smithies (nicksmithies.org)
- Ewa Justka (ewajustka.tumblr.com/)
- MADLICK (madlick.com)
- Hen Lovely Bird/Heather Nicole (cargocollective.com/stratofyzika)
- Jari Suominen (tasankokaiku.com/jarisuominen)
- Jiří Suchánek (jiri-suchanek.net)
- Jonas Hummel (bonusjonas.de)
- Lorah Pierre (lorahpierre.tumblr.com/)
- Schwarzflash – Marc Nostromo & Dorothee Dinne (marc-nostromo.com, behance.net/DorotheeDinne)
- Mirjam Sögner (vimeo.com/58143170)
- Rachel Uwa (mrpinkandthepinks.com/about-rachel)
- Black Spaghetti (soundcloud.com/black-spaghetti)
- Sergey Kasich (soundartist.ru/)
- Stefano Testa (soundcloud.com/noumenoumeno)
- Stratos Bichakis (http://www.mixcloud.com/frown/open-frown-live-stratos-bichakis/)
- Sébastien Piquemal (funktion.fm)
- Tim Shaw (tim-shaw.net)
- Tomash Ghzegovsky (tomashg.com)
- Leslie Garcia (lessnullvoid.cc)